Wednesday, November 08, 2006

A Special Message

....from FamilyLife, Focus on the Family, and Shaohannah's Hope:

Katya had lost her parents and entered a state-run orphanage in Russia by age nine. It is impossible for most of us to imagine what that is like. Her story (below) is similar to so many others - approximately 143 million others. FamilyLife, Focus on the Family and Shaohannah's Hope are teaming up to be a voice for children like Katya whose voice is often not heard. To learn about this historic initiative visit www.voiceoftheorphan.org.
To learn more about Katya's story, keep reading...

An Orphan's Voice
...In Russia, since I was nine, I lived in an orphanage in the city of Yekaterinburg. I lived with twenty-two other kids from three to fourteen years old. My clothing came from the laundry lady. I had a couple of toys that belonged just to me - Cabricia, my stuffed dog, and another dog that I gave to my best friend when I left.

Being an orphan is different.

It means not having a family to keep you safe and to love you.It means knowing that your Christmas presents were not chosen for you, but just for any child.It means having to share everything - because if you don't, you'll really be by yourself and won't have any friends.It means not knowing what the future will hold.It means living day by day with no plan of even having a plan - because if you make plans they can change in a second.It means not having someone to hug.It means being afraid to become attached to anyone because they probably won't be there long. They may care about you - but they still won't be there long.

In the orphanage I had no family. My own family is gone. My father died when I was five because of alcohol poisoning. My mom was heart-broken and began to drink. She died when I was 9. There are things that I missed out on - like not having a dad to take me to my first baseball game. I can't ever say that I remember that when I was seven and I was scared, that he was there for me. And I can't do a family tree like everyone else.

However, in 2000 my life changed. I learned that I was going to be adopted. At first the idea seemed ridiculous. I was angry with the lady for even asking me to be adopted. I was still trying to heal from the fact that I had lost my mom. But as time passed on I understood that I was getting a second chance to have a family again, and not everyone is lucky enough to have that chance. In my case I had the right to choose if I wanted to have a second family, and I agreed.

I can't remember being more nervous. At first when my mom saw me, she thought I was a boy because my hair had been cut really short from having head lice. But when I smiled, she said that she recognized me immediately.

I'm grateful that I was adopted and that now I have a chance to be happy, and to make my life whatever I want it to be. Thinking about all of this is emotional for me . . . to know that there are still people out there that feel this sadness and so much more. To know that the people that I left behind may never grow to their potential and may never have a home and a family of their own.

I hope that at the end of my life I will be remembered for doing my best with the second chance that I was given. My mom tells me to bloom where I'm planted, and that's what I plan to do.

Katya is in fact, blooming where she is planted. She is currently in the 11th grade. She has started a program called Hope's Miracle and through speaking and writing letters has raised over $5000 for the US Waiting Child Fund. In 2005 she was named Youth Humanitarian for the State of Arkansas, and was honored as a National Heartland Hero.

The Orphan Crisis
The United Nations counts 143 million kids worldwide as orphans —143 million children like Katya — waiting for love, waiting for family, waiting for care and support.

What We're Doing
Recognizing that the severity of today's orphan crisis is bigger than any one organization, FamilyLife, Focus on the Family and Shaohannah's Hope have joined together to launch a long-term, nationwide campaign called "Voice of the Orphan". This campaign seeks to raise awareness of the orphan crisis and spur fellow Christians to action.

What You Can Do
Together, we are helping to educate concerned Christians worldwide regarding this important crisis, and we offer practical and effective ideas on how every Christian can get involved in caring for the world's orphans.We invite you to join us — and learn more about God's heart and what you can do for these special children. To learn more about what our three organizations are doing together and what you can do to get involved visit: www.voiceoftheorphan.org

Please forward this story to family and friends to let them know of this important initiative and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of children just like Katya.

0 comments: