Thursday, December 28, 2006

Creativity and Imagination

I ran out of time last night while leading the discussion in our Bible class. I made reference to the need for a good use of creativity and imagination with regards to our self-understanding as the present-day people of God. I would like to elaborate on these ideas.

When studying the OT narratives, as we are in the book of 1 Kings, we are in essence reading an interpretation of the history of Israel. We know this great story builds upon great promises to Abram, it is furthered by great promises to David, and ultimate leads to the salvation of mankind. We understand the God's work is progressive and purposeful - He has the end always in mind, like any great strategic planner. The OT is not the account of a failed experiment, ultimately replaced by the new and improved NT plan of salvation. Rather, God has always had things under control. Even when punishing and destroying, He is still building to an ultimate goal. No plan of God's can be thwarted (Proverbs).

So, when we read OT passages, assuming the ultimate goal of our study is to grow in our understanding of God and His plan for our lives, we should study as if for a test! The test we should be preparing for is not of the multiple-choice variety, but is in fact the dreaded essay test. You all should remember from your school days that there is are critical differences in studying for multiple-choice type exams as opposed to open-ended essay exams. In other words, after all the years of studying Scripture, do we know more than superficial facts and associations; can we speak with some sense of reason and intelligence about the point of all things. Essay tests are harder because they demand we express a genuine understanding of the matter being tested. As a Christian, who has been carrying Bibles around for decades, I would like to think that I am at least striving to get the point of all things. As a member of a brotherhood of believers who have frequently touted our insistence on strict adherence to the Bible, I would hope I am among a people who get the point of all things.

It seems reasonable for me to conclude the following: If we are dealing with an Almighty, Wonderful God that is the great strategic planner of mankind; and His plans have and are coming to their glorious fruition; THEN, I can expect in my walk with Christ to be apart of something of monumental significance and of a fundamentally different nature the general flow of humanity. The Church of Christ should be monumental in significance and fundamentally different than non-church life.

Here's where I struggle:

There are two great commodities in Western hemisphere, American, middle-class life -- TIME & MONEY. Time and money dictate our lives. Most of our time is spent working to make money to pay for the cost of living. The basic standard of success is to make enough money to meet our expenses. If we can accomplish that, we are a productive citizen, furthering the economy of our community. The standard dream-- to get sufficiently ahead in time and money to engage in activities that are not essential but desired (travel, leisure, hobbies, luxuries, etc).

This entrenchment within the economies of time and money is so natural (normal) and so pervasive that we fail to ever think outside of it. It will take creativity and imagination to even begin to see something outside of this economic prison in which we live. POINT OF POST-> When we routinely live out our days entrenched in the ways of this world, we prove to be no better than the Israelites of long ago who continued to turn to the ways of their world rather than to cling to the God who led them out of Egypt and was leading them onward to a glorious future.

Stop and consider the magnanimous implications of for our lives of what Jesus said, "The thing you should want most is God's kingdom and doing what God wants. Then all these other things you need will be given to you" (Matt. 6:33 NCV).

The Christian walk cannot be conceived in the simple terms of pious morality and holy ethics. Jesus did not die on a cross, so that I might be a little nicer as I carry out my otherwise meaningless existence. There is far more to it than that. There has to be!

For me, it has come to this: I pray for God's power to concretely work in my life so that I might see a fundamental change in the way I manage the two great commodities of my existence, time and money. Anything short of a fundamental change leaves me wondering if the passage from the book of James doesn't capture me --"having a form of godliness, but denying its power."

[I realize this post is not sufficiently developed in some key areas and is a bit disjointed--for that I apologize. These ideas are unstable in my mind, plus, I drank a cup of coffee on an empty stomach--bad combination. Nevertheless, I trust that I am tinkering with a truth with which we all need to wrestle. I am very interested in your input.]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really struggle with this too. I tried to choose a profession where I feel that I can serve, but often feel limited in the way I can serve within the constraints of my job. My time is often eaten up in my job, but without the job, I fear that I woundn't have enough money to support my family. Sometimes I think that I'm not allowing God to take full control of my life because of my insecurities. If I truly surrender to Him, he will provide everything that I need and show me how I can bring others to Christ.

Unknown said...

I appreciate the comment-- this is difficult struggle with no easy resolution. Jesus' words from Matt. 6:33 indicate that we do not have to be bound to the "rat race" of American middle-class economics. Yet, Jesus does not give us step-by-step instructions as to how to negotiate the opposing pull of "real life" versus the high calling of the kingdom. We can assume, however, that despite the lack of specifics, God has given us what we need to do it. We must have the faith to not only believe that it can be accomplished, but also keep the faith as we engage a difficult struggle to see it realized in our lives. We need each other in this process.

I a future post, I want to look at a couple of modern-day Christian communes. They represent a radical and counter-cultural effort to break away from the world-economies, in order to be free to do God's will. Are they successful? Are they a good example for you and me? It should make for an interesting discussion and it will inject some creativity and imagination into our thinking on this situation.

Eric said...

First of all...please keep teaching as often as possible. It's evident that you are sincere and are concerned with the things of God. I love leaving knowing that I've heard from God.

You touched on something in class regarding our degree of transformation. Why am I not fully transformed with all areas of my life dripping in abundance from God? Because maybe I have only believed in Him to the point of insurance against hell. I'm sure myself, and others raised in the church, probably owe some of this to our upbringing. But, it seems like such an improbable stretch to believe that in addition to our salvation, God has an individual interest in working wonders in our finances, relationships, recreation, jobs, etc. I've really been feeling some stirrings here lately. Have we been taught to only have just enough faith to get into heaven? and be "good" people? Or is it just our human nature wanting just enough faith to "get by" and ultimately do what we want with all other areas of life? For me I think its a combination of both.

Unknown said...

You are wrestling with a good question here: What is it, really, to be saved, and what effect should it have on me now? We, by default, often think of salvation as like an insurance policy that really doesn't do its real work until I die. Christian living is expressed in the negative--I don't drink, I don't cuss, I don't have sex whenever and with whoever I want, I don't sin. Too much participation in sinful activities runs the risk of voiding our salvation/insurance policy.

We attempt to counter our shortcomings and missteps with some good things--I go to church, I give to the church's work, I teach a class, etc.

This seems to be such a dim view of Christianity and its salvation, especially when contrasted with the way Jesus spoke. He was more like an entrepreneur, selling us on a new enterprise, the kingdom of God. He calls us to give ourselves to it completely. Not when we die, but now!

The kingdom is like leaven working through the whole dough. Yet when we conceive of kingdom living in such limited scope, we resist the leaven's natural course. We compartmentalize our lives, seeing the relativity of Christ in only a few areas.

That is another way of getting at what I was expressing in class as the difference between 1st-order change and 2nd-order change. It is also the thinking behind my comment, "Jesus did not die on the cross so that I might be a little nicer as I carry out my otherwise meaningless existence."

My aim is to stimulate myself and many others to strain to see more to life, Christian life, than just biding time till we die. We have a job, a mission, and it involves far more than just sinning less than the average guy. Piety and moral/ethical goodness is a by-product of Christian living, not its goal.

Am I making sense?

Eric said...

Maybe the view of Christianity as a religion rather than a lifestyle comes into play here. Or maybe, we see salvation as only a hope - not a covenant guarantee. Or, in our human nature, we want to get the best of both worlds. I don't know why we all have such a hard time with transformation. From what I have seen the predmoninate reason people get saved is to avoid hell. And that's a good reason! But,it seems like people should come to faith because us Christians are so excited about Jesus Christ. Paul tells the Romans and us to "be transformed by the renewing of your minds." What can I do to renew my mind? I can pray for God to do it and help me do it. I can control what I read, and what I see, and to some extent the thoughts I dwell on. Prayer for God to intervene, effort to ingest good things, and discipline to stick to it. This text tells me there is something I can do to be transformed. Obviously, this transformation can only happen with the realization of salvation. The realization that Salvation is a guarantee and a right for those who trust in Christ. Our lack of transformation probably comes first from a faulty view of God as dictator/punisher, and the Bible as merely a rule book. Secondly, our lack of transformation comes from a lack of discipline in prayer and what we read, look at, and think upon.
Hopefully these ramblings made some sort of sense.